Tutorial: Getting Started with the Zend Framework 1.0
This tutorial is intended to give a very basic introduction to using the Zend Framework to write a simple database driven application.
NOTE: This tutorial has been tested on version 1.0.0 of the Zend Framework. It stands a very good chance of working with later versions. It is unlikely to on any version prior to version 1.0.0 due to dependency on the ViewRenderer action helper.
English version: Dowload the PDF (v1.4.5).
Simplified Chinese version by Jason Qi (offsite): Visit Jason's download area.
French version by Guillaume Rossolini (offsite): Débuter avec le Zend Framework.
Polish version by Kubek Bartosz (offsite): Pierwsze kroki z Zend Framework.
Russian version by Alex Musayev (offsite): Russian Translation (PDF)
Czech version by Petr Parimucha (offsite): CzechTranslation
Brazillian Portuguese version by Ricardo Klein (offsite): Getting Started with Zend Auth_pt-BR
Latvian version by Ingus (offsite): Ievads Zend Framework
Slovakian version by Igor Hlina (offsite): Začíname so Zend Frameworkom - tutoriál
Translations for previous versions of this tutorial:
Brazillian Portuguese version by Adler Medrado: Iniciando com Zend Framework (1.3.0).
German translation by Daniel Messer: Einstieg in das Zend Framework: PDF (v1.3.0).
Danish translation by Stig Benning: I gang med Zend Framework: PDF (v1.3.4).
Spanish translation by Claudio Cossio (offsite): Desarrollo de Aplicaciones con Zend Framework: PDF (v1.3.3).
Indonesian version by Riki Risnandar: Tutorial Awal dengan Zend Framework PDF (v.1.2.3)
Italian version by Fabrizio Frosali: Primi passi con il Framework Zend (off site).
The associated code is available:
- My Subversion repository
- Zip file of tutorial (~9KB)
- Zip file of tutorial including ZF1.0.1 (~2.3MB)
- Made the dependencies on mod_rewrite and .htaccess files more obvious.
- Use createRow() to create an "empty" album as noticed by Terry Stalker. Also, fixed reference to $_SERVER[’REQUEST_METHOD’] as reported by balu!
- Further updates so that the flow makes sense!
- Updates to support version 1.0.0. of the Zend Framework
- Updates to support version 1.0.0. RC2of the Zend Framework
- Updates to support version 1.0.0. RC1 of the Zend Framework.
- Improvements to the English found by Guillaume Rossolini.
- Another typo! Found by Wayne Roesner.
- More typos fixed. Found initially by Ludo, then many others ;)
- Now using isPost() as suggested by sleek. Also filed typos found by Jason Qi.
- Significant reworking to support version 0.9 of the Zend Framework.
- Typographical fixes found by Darren Chandler. This version has been tested on 0.8 of the Zend Framework.
- Updated notes on which versions of the Zend Framework are supported, now that I've tested on 0.7.
- Fixed more typographical and contextual issues found by Jason Qi.
- First typo found by Jason Qi.
- Updated tutorial for version 0.6 of the Zend Framework.
- Fixed setting of the include path.
Fixed multiple typos found by Brendon Kozlowski.
- Fixed initiation of the Front Controller in index.php.
- Updated tutorial for version 0.2 of the Zend Framework.
- Added some troubleshooting information about using setRewriteBase().
- Maybe I've finally nailed down the path to IndexController.php!
- More minor fixes. Thanks Thanks Holger and Develucas! Added note about only working with 0.1.5.
- Typo fix. Thanks Chris!
- Multiple minor fixes. Thanks Nathan, Nick, Matthew and everyone else!
- Original version