Using a separate master password in 1Password for Mac
I really like the 1Password password manager and recently switched to using the subscription based account. This allows access to my passwords via the web so, as you can imagine, I have a very strong 35 character master password set.
On my Mac, I use the 1Password app and that requires me to enter my master password reasonably frequently, so this very long password is not so desirable here. I’m comfortable that a 12 character password is enough locally as you have to log in to the Mac first.
To persuade 1Password for Mac to allow you to use a different master password to the 1password.com master password, you need a standalone vault that is created before you add your 1password.com account. Getting this right took a little bit of playing with and reading around, so I’ve written down the steps for when I next set it up.
- Log into your 1password.com account on the web and download the Mac app.
- Install the Mac app and start it.
- Choose to create a standalone vault. This is hidden under a more options section:
- Enter a master password for the standalone vault. This will be your shorter Mac app-only password.
- Add your 1password.com account to the Mac app. This requires your long 1password.com master password.
- Ensure that you only use the 1password.com vaults. In Preferences -> Vaults:
- Ensure that the Vault for Saving is set to your vault in the 1password.com account
- Uncheck your “Primary” standalone vault
That’s it. We can now log into the 1Password Mac app using a shorter password than our very secure master 1password.com password.